Friday, June 7, 2013

I hit a turning point when......

I saw this on a blog hop today and thought hmmmmm this is something I know I can handle.

I hit a turning point in my life when I realized many things. I have had several turning points and each has played a key role in shaping the person I have become. Some of the bigger turning points is when my younger brother passed away. He wasn't sick with cancer or killed in a tragic accident he died because of something so sad and preventable. He had a troubled life and he wanted to get make it better and make the changes he needed but sadly at 19 it wasn't his choice to make anymore. This was devastating for us. However I realized that I have a family that I now know won't be around forever and I need to let them know I cherish them and love them. I try to be closer to them because you just never know when their time or your time might be up. 

I hit a turning point in my life the day I realized as a single mom several years ago I couldn't do this all on my own. Yes I could do the parenting things all on my own but to make ends meet, to support my family I needed something more. The day I went to the Health and Human Services office was the most humbling day ever. For years I judged those folks whom walked through those doors praying for a chance to get the help they needed to make ends meet and take care of their family. However the day they handed me a card with my food stamps on it and said they would cover child care for me so I could work was by far one of the most amazing days of my life. I have no shame in that. In fact to be honest we are in the process right now of applying again because we need it. For those who know our family situation know this is crucial for us. 

I hit a turning point in my life when I married a man who is in the military. I never have understood why it was always so glorified once I met and married Chris. I, until meeting Chris, thought it was such a wonderful life of moving around, nice houses, great insurance, instant friendships. HA! We didn't move around well, I got moved three hours from home but it was his last duty station unbeknownst to us. I also found out many people have been here for like 10 years some more some less but so much for traveling the world! Yes the houses are nice but the money isn't as great is everyone makes it out to be. Heck most military falls right above the poverty line. Ironic huh? I loved the insurance actually its one of the key things I refuse to complain about. Base doctors yes, the insurance not so much. Instant friendships. I struggled to make friends and when I did I realized most of them enjoyed high school so much they wanted to have it carry over into adulthood. I did make a few great friends in that time and I still cherish our friendships even though they have either moved on or no longer military like us. 

I hit a turning point in my life when I realized we had a son who had special needs. I loved him dearly before and I love him even more now. I always felt so sorry for those families who had children who had disorders, diseases and disabilities. How unfortunate it was that their precious bundle of joy was somehow damaged goods. I guess I needed to be taught a lesson because early this year we found out our son had special needs. He has PDD-NOS (Autism), SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) and APD (Auditory Processing Disorder) He is by no means damaged goods and really taught us to take a step back, slow down, pay attention, live, laugh and learn more. I think someone was trying to tell me something actually. I have learned more from him these last few months than I have my whole life and my years in a classroom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment